Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO) Breath Test Instructions
Your SIBO breath test kit comes with everything you need to do the test. You will receive in your test kit:
- 4 breath collection tubes
- Glucose (75 gm) sugar package
- Security seal for return of tubes using original test box
- Test Instructions
Read all steps first before doing the test. It is highly recommended that you avoid certain foods, drinks, supplements and medicines before the test. Go to the SIBO breath test preparation page for more details. Perform the SIBO breath test after an overnight fast (at least 8 hours of no food intake). Do not sleep, smoke or exercise during the test.
The following are the written steps for doing the SIBO breath test. Please watch our how to do a breath test video before doing the test.
Collect one breath sample using the blue collection tube labeled Baseline.
- Unscrew the cap of the breath collection tube and position the straw at the bottom of the tube. Tip: Keep the tube screw cap close by, ready to be screwed back on quickly!
- Take a full breath and exhale through the straw directly into the tube for a count of 5. It is OK if some of your breath blows out of the top of the tube. This is normal.
- After filling the tube with breath, replace the cap immediately. Screw cap so that it is “finger-tight”. Do not over tighten cap. If you can’t replace the cap on the tube within 5 seconds, simply start the breath collection again from step 1 above.
Dissolve the glucose sugar in 8 ounces of water with vigorous stirring. There should be no visible crystals at the bottom of the glass.
Special Instructions for Testing Children
- If the child weighs over 50 pounds, have the child drink the adult dose (8 ounces of the sugar solution).
- For children weighing 35 to 49 pounds, pour ¾ of the sugar solution into a new glass. Add enough water to make 8 ounces of fluid. Administer 8 ounces of diluted sugar solution to child.
- For children weighing less than 35 pounds, pour ½ of the sugar solution into a new glass. Add enough water to make 8 ounces of fluid. Administer 8 ounces of diluted sugar solution to child.
Drink the whole glass of solution. It is OK if this takes a few minutes. It will taste sweet. Note the time when you have finished drinking the glucose solution. This is the glucose dosing time.
Wait 30 minutes from the glucose dosing time. Collect one more breath sample using the pink collection tube labeled 30 min. Don’t eat or drink anything.
Wait 60 minutes from the glucose dosing time (30 minutes from previous sample). Collect one more breath sample using the white collection tube labeled 60 min. Don’t eat or drink.
Wait 90 minutes from the glucose dosing time (30 minutes from previous sample). Collect one more breath sample using the red collection tube labeled 90 min. Don’t eat or drink until you finish this last breath collection.
Place all the tubes back in the slots in the original box along with the completed information sheet. Secure the box with the enclosed security seal.
Drop the test box into any mailbox.
Your SIBO breath test report will be emailed to you the same day as samples are received.