The following are the written steps for doing the SIBO breath test. Please watch our how to do a breath test video before doing the test.
Collect one breath sample using the blue collection tube labeled Baseline.
- Unscrew the cap of the breath collection tube and position the straw at the bottom of the tube. Tip: Keep the tube screw cap close by, ready to be screwed back on quickly!
- Take a full breath and exhale through the straw directly into the tube for a count of 5. It is OK if some of your breath blows out the top of the tube. This is normal.
- After filling the tube with breath, replace the cap immediately. Screw cap so that it is “finger-tight”. Do not over tighten cap. If you can’t replace the cap on the tube within 5 seconds, simply start the breath collection again from step 1 above.
Pour the lactulose solution into a 10-ounce or large drinking cup. Remove any residual orange solution left in the lactulose container by adding some water and pour into the cup. Fill cup with 8 ounces (1 cup) of water. Stir vigorously with a spoon until lactulose dissolves.
Special Instructions for Testing Children
- If the child weighs over 50 pounds, have the child drink the adult dose (8 ounces of the solution).
- For children weighing 35 to 49 pounds, pour ¾ of the solution into a new glass. Add enough water to make 8 ounces of fluid. Administer 8 ounces of diluted sugar solution to child.
- For children weighing less than 35 pounds, pour ½ of the solution into a new glass. Add enough water to make 8 ounces of fluid. Administer 8 ounces of diluted sugar solution to child.
Drink the whole glass of lactulose solution. It is OK if this takes a few minutes. Note the time when you have finished drinking the lactulose solution. This is the lactulose dosing time.
Wait 30 minutes from the lactulose dosing time. Collect one more breath sample using the pink collection tube labeled 30 min. Don’t eat or drink anything.
Wait for 60 minutes from the lactulose dosing time (30 minutes from previous sample). Collect one more breath sample using the white collection tube labeled 60 min.
Wait 90 minutes from the lactulose dosing time (30 minutes from previous sample). Collect one more breath sample using the red collection tube labeled 90 min.
Place all the tubes back in the slots in the original box along with the completed test requisition form. Secure the box with the enclosed security seal.
Drop the test box into any mailbox.
Your SIBO breath test report will be faxed or emailed to you the same day as samples are received.