Gut-Chek: How Does It Work?
Doctors have used hydrogen breath testing for over 35 years to help identify certain digestive problems. Whenever bacteria encounter sugars in the digestive tract, they produce gases such as carbon dioxide, hydrogen and methane. When these gases are detected in the breath, it provides important information about your digestive health.
Hydrogen breath testing has proven to be:
- Accepted: It’s among the most widely used tests for digestive problems
- Simple: No training or knowledge is required
- Convenient: Perform the tests whenever your schedule allows
- Reliable: The failure rate on breath collections is about 1 in 1000
Whether you’re testing for Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth, Lactose Intolerance, Fructose Malabsorption or Leaky Gut Syndrome, everything needed to complete the breath test is found in your kit. Be sure to read all of the test preparation and instruction information. It is extremely important that these be followed to ensure the best results. Next, fill out the information on the sheet provided such as your name, gender, date of birth etc.
The Gut-Chek process consists of these simple steps:
- Dissolve the sugar provided in a glass of water
- Collect a baseline breath by placing the straw all the way to the bottom of the tube, taking a deep breath, holding it for 5 seconds and exhaling through the straw.
- While exhaling, slowly remove the straw from the tube and replace the cap. Note: if you have trouble replacing the cap, simply take another breath and begin again.
- Drink the sugar solution – note the time
- Continue with the other breath collections at the times indicated on the test instruction
- Place the 4 tubes and the completed information sheet back in the original kit box and seal it with the white tab provided
- Drop the kit in any US mailbox. The kit is preaddressed and prepaid
Within a few days, you will receive an email detailing your results and making personalized recommendations for your digestive health.