Fructose Malabsorption Breath Test Instructions
Your fructose malabsorption breath test kit comes with everything you need to do the test. You will receive in your test kit:
- 4 breath collection tubes
- Fructose (25 gm) sugar package
- Security seal for return of tubes using original test box
- Test Instructions
Read all steps first before doing the test. It is highly recommended that you avoid certain foods, drinks, supplements and medicines before the test. Go to the fructose breath test preparation page for more details. Perform the fructose breath test after an overnight fast (at least 8 hours of no food intake). Do not sleep, smoke or exercise during the test.
The following are the written steps for doing the fructose breath test. Please watch our how to do a breath test video before doing the test.
Collect one breath sample using the blue collection tube labeled Baseline.
- Unscrew the cap of the breath collection tube and position the straw at the bottom of the tube.
- Take a full breath and exhale through the straw directly into the tube for a count of 5. It is OK if some of your breath blows out of the top of the tube. This is normal.
- After filling the tube with breath, replace the cap immediately. Screw cap so that it is “finger-tight”. Do not over tighten cap. If you can’t replace the cap on the tube within 5 seconds, simply start the breath collection again from step 1 above.
Dissolve the fructose sugar in 8 ounces of water with vigorous stirring. Fructose is not as soluble as table sugar, so it may be necessary to swirl the glass to keep the sugar in solution while it is being consumed.
Special Instructions for Testing Children
- If the child weighs over 50 pounds, have the child drink the adult dose (8 ounces of the sugar solution).
- For children weighing 35 to 49 pounds, pour ¾ of the sugar solution into a new glass. Add enough water to make 8 ounces of fluid. Administer 8 ounces of diluted sugar solution to child.
- For children weighing less than 35 pounds, pour ½ of the sugar solution into a new glass. Add enough water to make 8 ounces of fluid. Administer 8 ounces of diluted sugar solution to child.
Begin drinking the fructose solution. Note the time when you have finished drinking the fructose solution. This is the fructose dosing time.
Wait 1 hour from the fructose dosing time. Collect one more breath sample using the pink collection tube labeled 1 hr. Don’t eat or drink anything.
Wait 2 hours from the fructose dosing time (1 hour from previous sample). Collect one more breath sample using the white collection tube labeled 2 hr. Don’t eat or drink.
Wait 3 hours from the fructose dosing time (1 hour from previous sample). Collect one more breath sample using the red collection tube labeled 3 hr. Don’t eat or drink until you finish this last breath collection.
Place all the tubes back in the slots in the original box along with the completed information sheet. Secure the box with the enclosed security seal.
Drop the test box into any mailbox.
Your fructose breath test report will be emailed or faxed to you the same day as samples are received.