13C-Sucrose Breath Test Instructions
The test kit should contain the following items:
- 4 breath collection tubes
- Sucrose sugar package
- Requisition Form (Lab cannot process test if this form is not filled out completely.)
- Security seal for return shipment using original test box
Step 1: Collect one breath sample in the collection tube labeled Baseline.
- Unscrew the cap of the breath collection tube.
- Take a full breath and exhale through the straw directly into the tube.
- After filling the tube with breath, replace the cap immediately. Screw cap so that it is “finger-tight”. Do not over tighten cap. If you can’t replace the cap on the tube within 5 seconds, simply start the breath collection again from step 1 above.
Step 2: Dissolve the Sucrose in 8 ounces of warm water with vigorous stirring.
Step 3: Begin drinking the Sucrose solution. Note the time when you have finished drinking the Sucrose solution.
Step 4: Wait for 30 minutes. Collect one more breath sample using the collection tube labeled 30 min.
Step 5: Wait for 30 more minutes (60 minutes after drinking the Sucrose solution) and collect one more breath sample using the collection tube labeled 60 min.
Step 6: After 30 more minutes (90 minutes after drinking the Sucrose solution) and collect the final breath sample using the collection tube labeled 90 min.
Step 7: Place all the tubes in the slots in the original box along with the completed test requisition form. Secure the box with the enclosed security seal. Drop the test box into any mailbox.
The results of the test will be faxed to your practice the same day as samples are received.