Lactose Intolerance Test Instructions
The test kit should contain the following items:
- 4 breath collection tubes
- LacTest sugar package
- Requisition Form (Lab can not process test if this form is not filled out completely.)
- Security seal for return shipment using original test box
- Unscrew the cap of the breath collection tube.
- Take a full breath and exhale through the straw directly into the tube.
- After filling the tube with breath, replace the cap immediately. Screw cap so that it is “finger-tight”. Do not over tighten cap. If you can’t replace the cap on the tube within 5 seconds, simply start the breath collection again from step 1 above.
Special Instructions for Testing Children
If the child weighs over 50 pounds, have the child drink the adult dose (8 ounces of solution).
For children weighing 35 to 49 pounds, pour 3/4 of the solution into a new glass. Then add water until you have 8 ounces of fluid.
For children weighing under 35 pounds, pour 1/2 of the solution into a new glass. Add enough water to make 8 ounces of fluid.
Have the child drink the entire 8 ounces of the reduced lactose solution.
Step 5: Wait for one more hour (2 hours after drinking the LacTest) and collect one more breath sample using the collection tube labeled 2 HR.
Step 6: After one more hour (3 hours after drinking the LacTest) collect the final breath sample using the collection tube labeled 3 HR.